4ft long - Heavy Duty 2-in-1 Double Top-Bar Hive (19" wide - same length as a Langstroth frame) with deluxe raising roof and legs
DELUXE 2-in-1 Double Top-Bar Hive
- These 2-in-1 hives feature an optional REMOVABLE partition so you may raise 2 separate colonies to increase the size of your apiary OR adjust to one big colony for increased honey production. Each side has separate entrances that can be corked up as needed.
- These artisan hives are not outsourced, but mindfully and lovingly hand-crafted by the beekeepers themselves, Les Crowder and Nathalie Biggie.
- They are made out of sturdy 2" untreated pine lumber for maximum insulation and protection of your bees, as well as durability.
- Bars are the recommended standard of 19" long (17" or shorter are to be avoided because they make for deeper and narrower combs that tend to collapse and/or attach to the side walls a lot more)
- The deluxe roof is made of premium roofing material articulated to easily raise vertically, and latches in place (no need to use ties or weights to secure).
It allows for over the bar feeding through bars drilled through and vacuum jars
- The deluxe roof is raised for maximum air flow over the bars in the Summer, as well as addition of insulation material in the Winter - which makes them the best insulated hives we know (2" lumber is twice as insulating as the 1" grade wood used for Langs or other top-bar hives).
- In-hive emergency feeding can be achieved without opening the hive with a specially drilled top bar that lets the bees access the jar directly (not included)
- Each end of the deluxe roof reproduces the shape of an hexagon, which beautifully and mindfully recalls the shape of the cells in the honey combs.
- Entrance holes may be closed with wine corks or with entrance disc reducers (optional)
- The basic version is a single hive (no partition), unstained
- Each hive compartment comes with 3 cleated topbars for starter guides (6 total).
- To populate Top-Bar Hives, we recommend purchasing a Top-Bar NUC from us, or a package of bees (check www.HaysCountyBeekeepers.com/store for availability and pickup in Austin and greater area).
Advantages of Top-Bar Beekeeping
- Can host 2 colonies once partitioned
- No heavy box lifting ever
- No need for equipment storage (empty boxes, frames)
- No additional equipment ever needed as the colony grows
- Easier space management (only in the horizontal plan)
- Lots of comb honey and wax (more valuable than honey)
- Less stress on the bees (pull only a few bars for opening, no empty cavity above the brood's nest ever)
- Calmer bees, less intimidating management
- No hiding places for Small Hive Beetles
Option Add-On Cost Stain $65 Removable partition to allow for 2 colonies to be hosted in the hive $15 Set of 2 modular disk entrance reducers (settings allow for queen exclusion, transport and full opening $10
NO SHIPPING, PICKUP ONLY AT THE HANDMADE STORE, 12919 Nutty Brown Road, AUSTIN TX 78737 (these are made by hand so you will get notified via email when your order is fulfilled and your hive is ready for pickup).