4ft long - Heavy Duty Top-Bar Hive(19" wide) with deluxe roof and legs
LES CROWDER Top-Bar Hive - DELUXE
- LES CROWDER hives are mindfully and lovingly hand-crafted of 2" untreated pine lumber for maximum insulation.
The deluxe roof is made of premium roofing material and articulated to easily raise vertically, and latches in place (no need to use ties or weights to secure).
It is raised for maximum air flow over the bars in the Summer, as well as addition of insulation material in the Winter - which makes them the best insulated hives we know (2" lumber is twice as insulating as the 1" grade wood used for Langs or other top-bar hives)
Each end reproduces the shape of an hexagon, which beautifully and mindfully recalls the shape of the cells in the honey combs.
Pickup in Driftwood, TX.
- 3 cleated topbars for starter guides included
- Legs included
- 2-in-1 partition to host 2 colonies in the same hive
- Modular disk entrance reducers (settings allow for queen exclusion, transport and full opening).
Advantages of a Top Bar Hive:
- No heavy box lifting when harvesting or manipulating the hive: each bar weighs max. about 7-8lbs (compared to about 90lbs for a full deep honey super)
- No equipment storage needed
- No additional equipment needed as the colony grows
- Easier space management (only in the horizontal plan)
- Lots of comb honey and wax (more valuable than honey)
- Natural comb is better for the bees
- Less stress on the bees (pull only a few bars for opening, no empty cavity above the brood's nest ever)
- Calmer bees, less intimidating management
- No complicated management of boxes and frames
- No hiding places for Small Hive Beetles